Miata Timing Belt



Right. As I've mentioned before, I had no service history for the Miata so I didn't know how old the belt was.

So I went ahead and changed the timing belt, along with the reasonable accessories that go with it. Namely:

  • timing belt
  • water pump/alternator belt
  • A/C and power steering belt
  • tensioner and idler bearings
  • water pump
  • camshaft seals
  • crankshaft seals
  • thermostat housing o-ring
  • water pump flange o-ring
  • valve cover gasket
I ordered most of the parts from Flyin' Miata and the water pump from Amazon.
I also acquired a few tools from Flyin' Miata to make the job easier:
  • cam locking tool (with bottle opener!)
  • seal installers (for cam seals and long-nose crank seal)
  • crankshaft locking tool (to be able to torque down the crankshaft bolt)
All in all it was as tedious as I was expecting but ultimately I was able to do it. And that means almost anyone would be, if they're willing to.

The procedure is well described in many a Miata forum so I won't repeat it. We'll just leave a commented set of pictures I took while doing the job: photo album.

Till next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 300ZX [11] - 'Tis the season for reupholstery

Project 300ZX [5] - Shift knob / e-brake handle

RaspHousy part 1